Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Social Security Disability: Why is this taking so long?

I’ve been working all my life and paying taxes. Now that I’m not able to work and need help, SSA keeps denying my claim for disability benefits. Why is this taking so long?

It’s hard to be patient when you can’t afford to go the doctor and you don’t have money for medicine food, rent or utilities. But if you think about it logically, you can begin to at least understand why this process is necessary.

Think back to when you were working. Your employer would hand you your paystub, and you’d look to find that a chunk of your pay was taken out before they even gave it to you. You were paying toward the Social Security System. But you know that the government wasn’t holding your money in an account for you in case you should one day need it. The government was giving your money to the elderly and people who could no longer work.

So suppose that some government official approached you on payday and said, “Here’s your check, but before I give it to you, I’m going to take back three hundred bucks and give it to someone who can no longer work.” Your initial reaction might initially be a negative one, but you are human, and you at least to some extent agree that humans must take care of their elderly and sick – or you would not be applying for benefits now.

But this is the tradeoff - as a member of the workforce, I’ll contribute now to those who can no longer work so that I can be treated the same when I become unable to work. With one condition: before you take my money away from me and give it to those who can no longer work, at least make them prove they can no longer work. I surely do not want to give my hard-earned money to everyone who merely claims they can no longer work.

Read Full Article
http://www.socialsecuritylaw.com/blogs/Disability-Why-So-Long.php


VISIT SOCIAL SECURITY LAW TODAY


No comments:

Post a Comment